Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gotofail

It seems like a rather cruel twist of fate that I finish my post about obsolescence and fragmentation just as Apple acknowledges a major security flaw in their iOS and OS X Mavericks operating system. Apple has been remained relatively immune to security issues over the years. It's part of what has made them successful. So, I was pretty shocked to see that there was a security flaw in both of their current major operating systems.

Despite the severity of this problem, I have still been reluctant to upgrade simply because my classroom set of iPads are used mostly for creating projects in apps that do not rely on the internet or WiFi. I don't have email, social media, or any private data on my devices. I collect student work through Dropbox or a WebDAV, so I feel like we are safe. I haven't gotten any emails from my IT department, so they must not be worried about it either. This could be a curious crossroads for our district since iPads have received little support from our district. Security threats always tend bring more regulation. Fingers crossed.

FWIW, I have upgraded all my personal devices and encouraged my friends and family to do the same. My personal iPhone 4 was safe with iOS 5 because I'm such a luddite. Check your device at gotofail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment